For last weekend I planned to do some natural dyeing as I had silk, and natural dyes from Vasudevan. I thought a quick job, but how wrong could I be?
First I cut and torn all the silk fabric I had then I sort of hemmed all the edges..... that took a lot of time, but I wanted to do so before dyeing. Unfortunately I couldn't find any silk sewing thread so I used cotton (which doesnot take color as fast as silk)
I made a new dyepot with dried Eucalypthus I had here laying ... After making this I read in the book form India Flint. I better should have left it soaking in cold water first for a night.... but this worked too. I cut the stems and leaves and let them heat up to 80 degrees for an hour , added very little vinger to it as the water might be not neutral here in my region. Then I used a netting over another pot to get all the plant material out of the dye.
Emptied the used pot and added again a net and added the dyewater back in the pot used. Then I added the scarf let it simmer for one hour and then I turned it off and let it cooled down.
I picked some Convallaria majalis ( Lily of the Valley) leaves, and also some Solidago, I want a yellow / greenish dyebath and also want to see the difference between the two. The Covallaria bath was used with one scarf which I simmered first and then let cool down during the night... the result wasn't green, but soft yellow. I dipped it in the red dye and left it there during the day.
The other dye baths were already made by Vasudevan for the workshop in June here. One was made with Pathimugam = Ceasalpinia coriaria and was first orange but after adding alum as mordant it got dark orange,
The other dye was giving me a grey color coming from: Terminalia chebula
These natural resources are also used as intaking medicins in the Ayurveda (ancient Indian school of medicine) treatments.
Well time to show off some scarfs, I used chiffon silk and ponge silk
Before and after I dipped them in the dye for at least half an hour the scrafs looked like this:
and after drying and opening them:
after dyeing in Terminalia chebula
a mixed dip in Caesalpinia coriaria with and without mordant same like the other 2 below this text.
After dyeing in Caesalpinia coriaria
After dyeing in the Eucalypthusbath
A combinattion in two dyebaths
A nice collection so far.....
This was the last scarf in this session... I stil have plenty of dyes, I need to buy new silk....
My dye space is outside using one electrical pit.
One is sold already and maybee one more to go